The Churnet Valley Railway runs steam and historic diesel trains between Leekbrook Junction and Froghall. It is a remnant of the North Staffordshire Railway, built through the valley in the 1840s. Currently, it has stations at Cheddleton, Consall and Froghall but it will, eventually, extend to Alton, Oakamoor and Leek. It also connects with and sometimes runs on Moorland & City Railways' Stoke and Cauldon Lowe Branches.
Click the thumbnails to view the galleries.
S160 Class 5197
5197 was built in the U.S.A. and sent to Britain during WWII. It's in 1944/45 US Army Transportation Corps colours. It's currently out of service being overhauled.
'Large Prairie' 5199
5199 was originally built in Swindon in 1934. Restored in 2003, it was on hire from the Llangollen Railway in 2011.
Stanier 8F 8624
Stanier 8F 8624 was on loan to the C.V.R. in 2010. The red livery is not original: as a freight loco. it would have been black.
3F 'Jinty' 47279
47279 was hired from the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway in 2008.
7821 'Ditcheat Manor'
'Ditcheat Manor' is an ex-British Rail engine, built to a Great Western Railway design in 1950, and was on loan to the railway in 2006.
BR Standard 4MT Tank 80098
80098 was built in 1954 and, like many locos of that era, it was retired while still relatively new. It was on long-term loan at the C.V.R. until mid-2008.
Fowler 4F 44422
Back in 1990, 4F 44422 was the first resident steam engine to run on the C.V.R. It came back to the C.V.R. as a full-time resident for the 2009 season but had to be returned to Crewe in August, after developing "excessive knocking noises".
Galas and Specials Videos
As well as the regular residents, the C.V.R. welcomes visitors, especially for galas and other special events.
The railway has an assortment of historic diesels and occasionally holds diesel galas.
Diesel Multiple Unit 50455/50517
Class 104 DMUs were a 1950s design, withdrawn from service in the early 1990s.
D1842, a.k.a. 47192, was a C.V.R. resident when this video was taken in 2007. Subsequently, it left the C.V.R. and returned to Crewe, where it was originally built.